Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 18 July 2022

Heatwave.

7.00 this morning.
The heatwave is upon us. The photo below was taken at about 6pm while for most of the day it was a pleasant 33C in the shade with a breeze. (38.1C is the official high) Just like being on holiday abroad. We ate all our meals on the terrace and I've spent the whole day outside mostly in the shade. Funniest ever weather happening, I was taking a break and sitting in the shade when I felt something wet on my arm. Thinking it was a bird poo I looked but no, it was just water and part of the terrace was spattered with big fat raindrops from a single cloud in the blue sky. 
My job for the day was to scrub the terrace paving stones. I've got a stone sealant on order but before I apply it I need to get rid of all the stains. The bird offerings; white splats from seagulls, brown splats from rooks? and the result of a bombing raid by the gang of sparrows, were relatively easy to remove with the scrubbing and nail brushes. However as I worked my way closer to the house the final row of slabs was covered with many small paint spots. This was disheartening as I had made sure to cover the paving with a giant tarpaulin each time I painted. All I can think is that as I cleaned the paint specks from the windows without the tarp in place some lots flicked onto the stones and welded themselves there. These specks are so difficult to remove. I went through a variety of tools first scraping at each spot individually and not very succesfully until I settled on a wire barbecue cleaner. I was able to scrape at the worst spots with the corner of the metal blade and then scrub away with the brass wire brush. I did about two thirds of the terrace in three sessions starting before breakfast until I had to stop at 4.00 because I'd worn the wires down to nothing.
After all that work what else could I do but go down for a swim, or at least a float in the sea? The beach has been busy all day long and there were plenty of people in the almost flat sea. I'm not a good swimmer so I made sure to put myself in the small area marked by the lifeguards flags just to be on the safe side. I swam a little and practised being a starfish like they tell you to do if you fall in the water and swam a bit more. The water wasn't cold which was nice but eventually I felt a bit dizzy and decided to get out. I have to say I much prefer bodyboarding to swimming.
I had a bit of bother as I walked down to the beach and then on the way back. Trouble from a pair of aggresive seagulls who must have a nest on the roof of one of the houses along the road. On the way down the birds kept swooping at me and getting quite close to my head. I was holding a pair of wetsocks (weaver fish!) in one hand and flapped them at the birds as they got close. On the way back the birds were even more aggresive and though I crossed the road and walked on the cliff top they continued and one hit me across the back of the head. I'm guessing with its feet as I've seen some nasty photos of wounds caused when they attack people with their beaks. They are not nice birds. I put a warning on the local FB page as there is no way to get to the houses up here except by going along that bit of road. Some of the comments supported the gulls and said they were only defending their nest. Hah!

9.00 this evening there were still lots of people in the water. 
Sunset.



No comments: