Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 29 July 2022

Sunny.

Not quite a Borthbados day but lovely holiday weather with lots of sun and a gentle breeze.
With nothing on my schedule I was determined not to fritter away my day and end up with nothing notable done. Instead, while Peter went off shopping I glued the other loose bracket on our coffee table, cleared most of the worktop in the utility room and then set to work on the hedges in the front garden.
The hedge trimmer makes it a lot easier to get a neat finish but the overall shape of the hedge is still a work in progress. My goals are still to get it as low as possible while maintaining our privacy especially when we're sitting out on the terrace. It's that lower dip that still looks a bit odd. The plan had been to cut the escallonia that makes up that section of the hedge into a ball shape similar to the hydrangea but unless I took the top much higher it didn't quite work. I went out earlier to check just how high the 'high' section really needs to be and it could come down another 6". That will involve some sawing back of the very thick stems so I think I'll wait until next spring to do that.
I also levelled out the hedge across the bottom as my last effort with the secateurs had left it sloping down to the right.
Below is a reminder of how the garden looked in July 2019 when the hedge had spread right into the garden. I like looking back over old photos to see how much progress we've made in three years.

It was a lovely warm afternoon so after my gardening efforts I got out the sunlounger and had a most relaxing rest with a coffee and a book. It was so nice we ate our supper outside too though unlike yesterday evening we didn't see any dolphins.

No comments: