Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 4 November 2023

Mostly Wet.

It has been raining, on and off all day long. 
Trust me to wake extra early (at 5.00) when the builders were starting later and we had the chance of a lie-in. Soon I was sitting outside with my mug of tea but alas it wasn't long before the rain began. Oh well, I went and did my Duo Lingo and then as I was relaxing watching wild horse videos out went the power. That was just after 7.00 and as we have very limited internet on our phones it wasn't until the power returned two hours later that I found out why. The electricity people had said it was a blown transformer while a local resident reported that as the train went past there was a loud bang (did it hit something?) and off went the power to 600 properties. At least I had my first mug of tea while Peter who slept longer had to go without until the power came back on. Plus no heating, no radio and no internet. 
That hasn't been the only unusual event in the village. Yesterday afternoon the High St. was closed for a while by a number of police vehicles including an armed response unit. Apart from carrying tasers our police force do not carry guns except for special units who are only called in when there is extreme threat. Found out later all that was to carry out the arrest of a person suspected of money laundering. A door was kicked in, the person was arrested and the armed police were not needed. 
After their marathon stint yesterday the builders came a bit later and have been working hard all day. The tiles have all been grouted, the shower mixer fitted and the shower tray put in place. That had needed a concrete platform to level up the bathroom floor which has a bit of a slope. 
Eventually, after much crocheting I needed to go out for walk to clear my head. There was a fine drizzle so I left my camera at home and just used the phone camera. As I mooched along the shore line I came across a tangled roll of fishing net, the fine kind that is so dangerous to sea creatures. Even if I'm not litter picking which I do occasionally I always pick up fine fishing net and fishing line, often with hooks attached as they are so nasty. This net was much bigger than anything I'd come across before, at least 6ft wide and rolled up with odd bits of rope, sticks and a lot of sand. I managed to heave it, a few inches at a time, across the sand and very slowly up the first stony slope leaving a track that looked as if a giant turtle had been on the beach.
At that point a lady walking her dog, a rescue greyhound, offered her help which I gratefully accepted. Together we dragged the net right up to the edge of the beach away from the reach of the waves. It was a bit to far for us to take it to the bins by the slipway which is where I usually dump nets.
The recent stormy weather has brought in great masses of seaweed, several feet high. I gave one a prod with my boot and it was as firm as a tightly packed bale of hay, not the squidgy heap I had been expecting.
On the way home I met A. our neighbour who is having the new roof on his house and we chatted for a long time despite the pouring rain. We both had decent raincoats on and you get used to the rain living in Wales though it's less wet at the coast.
Just heard some fireworks, it's Bonfire Night but still very wet so I wasn't expecting much in the way of fireworks.




 

No comments: