Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 17 March 2012

Good Gardening.

It hasn't been as wet as forecast but we have had a number of showers. It seemed that each time I put on my gardening clothes the heavens would open. As I do most of my gardening either kneeling or sitting on the ground the old pair of joggers I put on over my normal clothes tend to be too muddy to wear in the house so I have to take them off if I am coming back in. Eventually it cleared up and I was able to complete my task of clearing the leaves and moss from the aubretia circle in the scree garden.Flowering currant buds almost ready to open.

Working in the garden gives me plenty of time for thought. Today I have been trying to focus on enjoying the moment rather than wishing each day away as I look forward to some future event. This could be anything from the week-end, school holidays or the next showing of a favourite tv programme to more distant events such as our trip to the Scillies or my back operation. If I only see each day simply as time passing and taking me closer to one of these events then those days are wasted. I should learn to enjoy the 'now' for after all who knows what the future holds. End of self motivational talk.

As I gardened nature provided a symphony of sound around me. The wind rushing through the trees formed the rhythm and base notes. The thrush took on the role of first violin as it warbled its varied song from the top of a tree. A flock of small birds whizzed by adding harmony and enriching the melody. Wood pigeons chimed in with some sotto voce base notes and finally the star of the show, a small operatic bird sang clearly and sweetly in a tree above my head. And for the interval refreshment Peter appeared bearing a cup of coffee. It was a good gardening day.

1 comment:

lea said...

Ruta, I should comment more I guess, since I always read your blog at night, I enjoy it very much. I too am a rather reluctant housekeeper, but I love my garden. Here is a quote I found (there is another by this person which I have framed & hung in my kitchen):
There is always music amongst the trees in the garden, but our hearts must be very quiet to hear it. ~ Minnie Aumonier Lea