Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 26 March 2012

How Long Is Lent ?

This year has been the first time I have given up something for Lent. 2 things in fact, meat altogether (but not fish) and a serious cut back on chocolate. I consider my 2 squares of dark chocolate that I eat each night to be 'medicinal' but recently there has been a lot of extra chocolate. So for the first half of Lent I cut out everything except the 2 squares. Then for the next quarter I went down to 1 square each day and for the final quarter proper cold turkey and no chocolate at all. Being the kind of person who likes charts I made myself a chart so that I could cross off each day. However as I near the end of my chart I realise that we haven't even got to Palm Sunday. How could that be? Had I miscounted? I checked with my diary and was surprised to find that there are 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. A little research revealed that when Lent was first formalised and people were expected to do pennance and fast for 40 days Sundays were excluded as the Sabbath was a day of celebration. Now I have to decide what to do with those 6 extra days. It won't do me any harm to carry on I suppose.

Today has been another wonderful 'summer's' day. I spent the afternoon in school making yet more Easter hats with a different class. Even though we had a staff meeting after school it was still sunny enough when I got home to run and change into shorts before relaxing with a cup of tea out in the garden. So peaceful listening to the sounds of birds, munching ponies, buzzing bees and a children's riding lesson. Not to mention the rebelious owl that insisits on hooting during the daytime. Once the sun had gone behind the trees I thought I would move down to find the sun at the back of the house. First I decided to walk up to say hello to the ponies, but then then I felt energetic and carried on walking right up the hill and on to the top of the drive where I was rewarded by the sound of a skylark singing above the fields.
Let's hope this weather continues for a while.

No comments: