Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 3 March 2012

Race Day.

It was still sunny this morning so I planned another garden day. Imagine my disappointment when while eating breakfast I saw the skies darken followed by a torrential downpour. Luckily this was only a brief blip and I was able to get lots of things done outside. First job was to bring down the last of the logs, split them and stack them in the fireplace. They should last for the next 2 or 3 weekends by which time, hopefully, it will have got warmer. Although bright it was very windy so I took a chance and washed one of the sitting room curtains. (Floor length white curtains + cats = guess what.) Now that the urgent garden jobs have been dealt with I can follow the sun when I am working in the garden and the next job I gave myself was to make a start on weeding the small patch of grass by the scree garden. I had only intended to dig out the deep rooted weeds but there was so much moss in the grass that I started removing that too. The best method I found was to rake it out with a sharp table fork. I don't really like using chemicals in the garden and even if I did the dead moss still has to be raked out. Peter was out for most of the day, gig rowing again. This time it was his first race, an inter-club race of 3 1/2 miles on the open sea. He came home in an excellent mood with worrying tales of being battered by sizable waves from all directions often being being hit full in the face. One gig got to the point where they were making no headway at all and had to retire from the race as they were in danger of capsizing. 2 crews raced from our club and out of 11 gigs the A team came 3rd and Peter's mixed team which included one novice came 8th which he was very happy with. Even in those conditions the life jackets remained unworn at the bottom of the gig, they must be mad!

No comments: