Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Heavy Rain Showers.

I was most relieved when I looked out of the window this morning and saw that there wasn't a big pile of gravel in the yard washed down by last night's rain. It had sounded absolutely torrential crashing down on the conservatory roof and the morning news said that some places had a month's rain in 24 hours. With more rain due today the advice was to check before travelling  as some major roads were flooded and trains cancelled. Walking up the drive to feed the chickens I did see some damage to the drive but it only needed a little work with a rake to restore it. I went and checked on my soil dams and they were still intact but the small ditches I had dug discretely on my neighbour's land were filled with fine gravel washed down from the road. I cleared the ditches using the gravel to reinforce the dams so the drive should be protected from the next downpour.
It was back to work in the afternoon. Some older pupils from the secondary school came to talk to my class about the kind of stories and characters they like as part of their drama assignment. Later in the year they will come and perform  their plays (usually pantomime style) to the Year 2 children. They come every year with their drama teacher who was Romas' Year Head and I still recall several visits to her office with Romas to explain lack of homework. We get on fine now and she is always interested to hear how the boys are getting on.
The school is right in town but we do have a small playing field as does the junior school which is on the same site. To one side are some mature trees and it is not unusual to see squirrels in the trees or even in the playground. But this morning 2 teachers saw a badger disappearing into the bushes. That is an unusual town animal. Foxes yes but not badgers.
Update - this storm is the worst September storm for 30 years. It seems to be worst in North Wales and northern England and there is still more to come.

No comments: