Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 1 April 2013

Cold.

It's much colder again today. On the radio they are saying it's been the coldest Easter since 1965 with -12C yesterday in Scotland. The Rayburn is hardly able to boil water so I've had to resort to the electric kettle for hot drinks. Peter was out rowing once more this morning and they had to go to The Reform to 'warm up' afterwards. Still he did come home with a dozen free eggs from someone who keeps hens on his allotment.
My back is protesting a little after yesterday's session with the pressure washer but I wanted to get started on the paving around the scree garden. First I had to suck up all the leaves with my sturdy garden vac. It does a fairly good job but doesn't shift the leaves stuck under stones. I'm trying to think of a way to make a nozzle attachment to pick up individual leaves but so far all I can think of is using lino. I need something that is pliable enough to wrap around the 6" end of the vac but sturdy enough not to fold together with the suction of the motor. Finally I made a start and washed the paving in one corner. The white pool edging slabs are the most satisfying to clean, The orange slabs clean up more quickly than yesterday's grey slabs but they have little grey stones in them so the overall effect is not so dramatic. I think I should plan to give them another wash in the summer this year.
As I was walking down the hill rewinding the extension electric cable I spotted this frog sitting on the path by the little pond. He was so cold that he hadn't moved an inch when I came back with my camera. Fearing for his safety from predators I gave him a little assistance to get into the pond.
Sarah has started putting the ponies out in the field though they are rugged up against the chill wind. I think these are the 2 fillies, Persey and Doris. 
We're waiting for some pizzas for our supper. They've been in the oven for 25 mins (from defrosted) and the cheese hasn't melted yet! It might be a little while. That's what happens when there is a cold wind in the wrong direction. 

No comments: