Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Sunny.

Lots of welcome sun this afternoon. It was quite windy in the morning and I did wonder if I was being sensible going to work without a jacket but I needn't have worried. I got to work to find the children happily eating their lunches outside. I was working with a year 2 class and we made a good start on the D&T that I had planned. Now 6 small pirate boats with masts sit on the cupboard and I have a stack of post-its with the children's handy hints. The one saying 'Don't make a big mistake' was beautifully written but not so useful as a handy hint. 'Dont use flopee figs (floppy things)' was somewhat more helpful. Luckily there was a water tray outside one of the other classrooms so they were able to go and test them. Next week -sails!
I drive through a couple of residential streets on my way in and out of work and right now there is an abundance of spring colour around as town is a couple of weeks ahead of our valley high in the hills. I pass 3 big magnolia trees, the cherry blossom is nearly out and everywhere are daffodils, tulips and other spring flowers.
This is the saxifrage that grows in the wall by the scree garden.
My morning was also spent productively. I was so enthusiastic that I was out washing down the conservatory by 7.30. I plan to clean one side each day but I got carried away this morning and did half the front as well. We have a big conservatory which should be very useful in this wet climate. But apart from the water that comes up through the floor (when it's very wet), soaks through the stone house wall and emerges over the inside beams ( who would have thought that stone was porous?) or drips in between the badly fitting roof panels, it has tended to be used as a workroom and store. I've tidied up all but the biggest tools (our real sheds are damp so the circular saw, angle grinder and chainsaw have to stay), stacked the many boxes and trays of warhammer figures and been ruthless with the stuff that was being kept 'for making'. Even with a plastic rather than glass roof it is light and warm in there so I intend to use it as a room to read and draw. The special offer at the garden centre included a free gro-bag so I may get a few tomato plants this year.

No comments: