Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 4 April 2013

Winter ?

The sun didn't make an appearance today until very late in the afternoon. The morning felt like winter once more and it even tried to snow several times. I wrapped up well and got on with cleaning the paving around the scree garden. I've done just over half as today's section was easier to clean. I think I did enough musing on the different lichen growing on the concrete slabs to write a thesis. For instance the slight shelter from the outbuildings  has decreased the drying out effect of the wind allowing more growth of the black lichen which is so hard to get rid of.
If I looked closely there were quite a few distinct species of lichen. Looking closely at the photos I can see little orange fruiting bodies on this yellow variety. (For some reason the pc isn't recognising my camera when I try to upload the zoomed in photos that I've just done on the camera. Hope this is only a temporary blip.)
This grey lichen might be crabs' eyes according to the limited guide in my book. There was also an orange lichen which was exactly the same colour as the orange slabs. I assume it had extracted the colour from the concrete. Well, I have to think about something as I wield the pressure washer. We've had a brief moment of golden sun streaming in to the sitting room but now the clouds are filling the sky once more and the temperature is dropping. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Winter was back here this morning too. Only 19F. which I think is -7 C.
It did warm up later though.