Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 17 August 2013

Cool.

I've spent the whole day sanding and scraping the last of the kitchen counters. Peter went to a regatta at Clovelly and if the weather had been better I would have gone along to this interesting village. Especially as I would have had a free pass. I find it quite wrong that a whole village should be owned by one person and that everyone except the villagers who live there has to pay to visit. As it was it was chilly in the morning and the forecast was for wind and rain so I decided to stay home and work. 
It was only today that I realised that the grease that kept clogging up the sandpaper was not from cooking but was the linseed oil that was protecting the wood. I also realised that it was easier to scrape the oil off the wood with a sharp knife first. Peter's best kitchen knife to be precise. It's really a big cake knife but he sharpens it to a lethal edge using a whetstone. At least the job is now done though I have to wait for some wood filler I bought on eBay as they didn't have the shade I needed at B&Q. And it was half the price. Even with oil on it beech wood doesn't like having water left on it and there is damage and staining to one side of the sink. Wood is probably not the best worktop when you have a careless family.  With the curtains down I can see that there is still some work to do around the window frames so that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

No comments: