Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 19 August 2013

Windy.

I've been busy finishing off in the kitchen in the afternoon but in the morning I had to go into town to visit the Post Office, library etc. I got everything ready including the rubbish and the recycling to leave at the top of the hill and then as I opened the car door I saw that the footwell was full of water. I took out the floor mat and then sponged up the water as best I could but the fitted carpet was soaking. Luckily my hoover is also a carpet washer and I could use it to suck out all the water. I must have not closed the door properly and let the rain in while the car has been sitting there all week. I was worried that the water might have affected the engine or the wiring but it started all right. Now the car will be damp and musty for ages.
I had a long trawl on eBay looking for new handles for the kitchen cupboards because the cheap brass coated ones on them at the moment are all rubbed away and tarnished. In the end I found some plain white china ones which were reasonably priced. Also I had decided that it was really about time I fixed the hinge on one of the kitchen cupboards which has been broken for as long as I can remember. As it's a small high up cupboard that I hardly ever use I just never bothered. I took the original hinge with me to town, first calling at the dump to see if there were any cupboard doors in the wood skips that might have a hinge but no luck there. Instead I bought 2, they only come in 2's, which were nearest in size because naturally hinges from 25 years ago came in different sizes. I had to drill all the holes but I got it fitted and now the door closes properly instead of hanging at a slant.
My final job in the kitchen was to sort out my set of old white jugs which were holding an amazing amount of stuff; pens, pencils, scissors, rulers, 6 nit combs?, and anything else that could be shoved in them. Now that I've cleared out all the junk and pens that don't work the jugs look much better. There are a few cupboards that I would like to empty, wash and sort the contents but I'll wait for a rainy day to do that.

No comments: