Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 15 August 2013

Rainy Morning.


Yesterday evening Peter came home with some DIY supplies from B&Q including an electric sander with a dust box. (Over 60s get 10% discount on Wednesday which is handy in these times of austerity.) I thought that I would be able to get all 3 of the beechwood counters done in one day but after the first hour I revised my plan and decided to do one a day. The vibration does make your hand feel strange afterwards. In the end it took me up until 4.30 to do this one counter. That was with giving myself some breaks to rest my hand. Also that's the dreaded hotplate at the end of the counter where a lot of frying goes on, not by me, and although I thought I had been keeping the counter clean there was still a layer of grease there. I had to scrape the wood clean with a knife because the sand paper kept getting clogged up. Once I had finished I gave it a good coat of linseed oil to seal and protect the wood. Despite the sander having a dust box there was a fine layer of dust everywhere and I will have to give everything a wash when I have done all the counters.
It was raining quite heavily in the morning but by the afternoon it had stopped. There was a warm wind blowing and even a bit of sunshine.  
Up at the scree garden the sedum Raspberries and Cream was covered in bumblebees. There were a few butterflies around, mainly the small whites.
I cooked up some more hummus during the day and right now I'm caramelising onions to mix in the hummus while I wait for Peter to come home from a gig club meeting.

No comments: