Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 26 August 2013

Sunny.

Every time I walk up the stairs the scent from these lilies (from Vytas' bouquet) fills the air.
It's been a day of cloudless blue skies and the temperature in the sheltered sun-trap by the house went up to 48C. The garden is filled with butterflies and at times I have been walking through a cloud of butterflies. One landed on my arm, spread its wings and looked like a living tattoo. 
Peter and I worked together to put up the first part of the frame and the central mirror in my summer house. Even with only one section of mirror it already looked so different giving the illusion of a garden beyond the building. Peter and I don't work together too well but some of it was a 2-man job and I needed him to make sure the electric socket and bare wires that happened to be in the way, were safe. The other two mirrors are glass only so I'll have to put up some flat wood to glue them on. After that it was time to cut the grass while Peter prepared a barbecue.
Gemma who has her own photographic studio came over to take some photos of me and Peter, what a thoughtful birthday present that was. We had a barbecue first and it was good to catch up before posing for some natural pictures of us laughing together. Gemma took some photos outside and some in the kitchen. It's amazing how you can still take digital pictures in low light and Peter enjoyed comparing how things have changed since the days when he worked in photographic studios.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Thank you, Ruta, for answering my question. I love your idea of mirrors to reflect your garden. I hope you post one of Gemma's photos of you and Peter. I did go to her web site...she's very good. I also love the sculpture that the lilies are sitting next to. I can imagine gazing at that for quite a while and finding different forms and stories.

Ruta M. said...

That sculpture of a reclining figure was carved by my mother who was a professional artist. Vytas as her first grandchild was her favourite and when she passed away he chose that sculpture to remember her by even though he was only young. One day when he returns to the UK it will go to his home.
I love mirrors but there is only one drawback. Very occasionally a bird flies into them with fatal consequences but the swallows have been flying past them for years without any problem.