Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 25 April 2014

Downpours.

It was a bit of a shock to the system having to wake up at 6.00 this morning, especially as Peter has been at home for the last 2 weeks so we've been getting up later than usual. Luckily I'm a morning person as I had less than 5 hours sleep last night. As I drove to work I was thinking about how pleasant the drive is with lots of nature and beauty to admire. First there was the sight of Boris turned out in the field wearing a tiny foal headcollar for the first time. Next there was a buzzard sitting on a telegraph pole and down by Burridge a black sheep with a black lamb. Approaching the first town houses there were more trees blossoming including the 'candles' on the horse chestnut trees. At that point I saw that an oncoming car had nearly slowed to a halt and in front of it were one, no two horses. My first thought that someone was leading them but immediately I saw that the horses were loose on the road and behind then were 3 or 4 more small ponies. For once my brain worked quickly and I jumped out of my car, stopped the car that was coming up behind me and diverted the small herd into the driveway between 2 paddocks which is where I was sure they had escaped from. My dilemma was what to do next as I did need to get to work. I didn't want to leave them near the road so I chased them back down towards the house and they put themselves back into one of the paddocks. I noted the phone number of the cattery up on a board by the entrance and when I got to school I gave the bemused cattery lady a call to let her know about the escape. Typical of me not to even think about using my mobile phone which was in the car with me even though I really only carry it for car emergencies.
I had an absolutely lovely day with the reception children, very relaxed and yet we got everything done. It had been bright for most of the day and then in the afternoon the heavens just opened up. Within minutes the playground was one vast puddle and the poor parents waiting for their children got very wet indeed. Luckily the worst of it was over when I walked into town to change my library books and drop off some stuff at the charity shop.
When I got home I intended to take a photos of Boris looking sweet in his headcollar but  the headcollar was lying discarded in the mud. Naughty foal.
Boris came over to see what I was doing and I let him have a suck on my finger though he did keep trying to have a nibble with his new teeth instead. 

4 comments:

happyone said...

I'm a morning person too as you probably already know. : )
Glad you had a nice day.

Harriet said...

Ruta, You referred to a "cattery lady".... would you explain what that means please? I enjoyed reading about the escape of the horses and pony. So typical of animal behavior. Years ago, my children and I visited my sister on her dairy farm. Those cows were excellent escape artists. We spent a lot of time herding them back into their pasture. All they need is one leader and a weak are of fence...freedom!!

Ruta M. said...

Hi Harriet, In the UK a cattery is a place where you can pay for your cat to stay when you go on holiday or where a charity such as the RSPCA keeps their cats. Even though we've always had cats on the rare occasions when we go on holiday a friend or neighbour has come in to feed the cats. I think somebody who breeds cats for sale might also be referred to as running a cattery and

Ruta M. said...

Oops - didn't mean to have that last 'and'. I sometimes have a stray pony or horse from the stables next door arrive in our garden but I used to work with horses so that's not a problem. I just catch them and walk them back to the stables.