Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 7 April 2014

Wet Morning.

The morning's weather ranged from light drizzle to torrential rain. During one of the drier spells I went outside and swept the yard so that I would be ready to start pressure washing the paving slabs when it did actually stop raining. Straight away I discovered that the drain from the kitchen was blocked ....... mainly due to yucky fat that had gone down the kitchen sink. I'm not pointing a finger but I'm not the one who eats fried food in this house. Though I do use olive oil to make my honey and mustard salad dressing, (got to liven up my salad somehow). I cleared away the sludge and poked with a stick until the water level dropped, and felt brave for doing so. Then I'm afraid I resorted to chemicals, first the end of a packet of caustic soda and after some time I also poured in some drain unblocker gunk. I did wear rubber gloves but still got a chemical  burn on my wrist when I took the gloves off. Gave it a good wash under a running tap and it's not too bad. I'll leave the chemicals overnight and then hopefully tomorrow some hot soapy water from the sink should finish the process. If not then I'll have to get the drain rods out and open the access lid which is under the granite stones. 
Eventually the rain stopped and I was able to make a start with the pressure washer. Getting all the slabs around the house and the paving around the scree garden cleaned is my planned holiday task. 
There were a few brief moments of sun later in the afternoon. The little pond has filled up a bit after all the rain and is full of hungry tadpoles. 

No comments: