Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 5 April 2014

Wet.

Another grey day with a fair bit of rain. My morning was brightened up first by seeing from FB that Vytas and Sally were finally back and then almost straight away getting a phone call from Vytas. We had a nice chat which we haven't been able to do for some time since my PC started ailing and became unable to access Skype.
Then it was time to tackle the tree once more. It was no longer rocking but was leaning back against the tree beside it. My first plan was to hammer an axe head between the 2 trees to try and force the cut one forward but needless to say that plan didn't work. Next idea was to rope the tree and pull/rock it down. Being me my first attempt to get the rope around the tree got the rope caught in the tree behind. It took a bit of poking with a very long branch to get the bit of wood the rope was tied to back down. Eventually I did get the rope around the tree. Luckily the rope was long enough for me to stand at a safe distance to try and pull the tree over. But although I could see the branches moving nothing much else was happening. By this time it was raining heavily so I retired indoors for coffee and a break. The next plan was to trim down the tree trunk so that it would be easier to over balance. This I did beaver-style with a wood chisel. It didn't take too long before the tree moved and boy did I run. But the tree still didn't fall. But with the rope that was tied to the tree I was able to give a few good pulls and then it started to fall. I had time to yell TIMBER! in a very satisfied fashion and the tree landed exactly where I had planned. 
I've cut off all the small branches and made a start on tidying up so I think I can say that's a good day's work.  
Now a chainsaw and a strapping young man should make short work of all my cut trees and maybe even take down some more of them. 
Since the trees in the field beyond have grown so well I'm tempted to take down as many of the trees on the bank as possible. More wood for next winter and more afternoon & evening sun  in the garden.


No comments: