Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Sunny.

I leave the valley for one day and look what happens! I did wonder when I saw the empty field as I drove up the hill if Coral had had her foal and sure enough when I came home there he was. I went out for a chat when I saw Sarah going to bring them back to the stables for the night. Apparently  Boris (Borias really), was born at about 7.00 this morning. He has some white markings on his face and muzzle so may become quite a bit whiter when he is older. Not too surprising as his sire is grey.
I love it when foals are at the gangly leg stage. 
At 10 hours old he was already running off across the field with Coral in pursuit. I'm sure it won't be long before he gets brave enough to come to the fence to be stroked and to suck on fingers. 
I was going off to meet my friends for coffee and a long chat at the garden centre. There were 6 of us and 3 youngsters this time. Luckily the youngsters were old enough to be able to explore and play together outside while us ladies had a good old gossip and a laugh. 
I had an interesting drive over to the garden center. I take a different route than I normally do to get into town which first gives me great views southwards from the top of Whitefield Hill. In the distance on the other side of town I could see some fields of rape already in full bright yellow flower. As I got down into the valley I drove beside a tiny meadow next to the stream/river which had a small flock of mixed sheep in it including some Jacobs and I had to go Aaah over the pair of small black lambs skipping about. My attention was soon back on the road as I had to take a narrow lane that comes off a blind bend in the road. I scooted across the road only to realize that in the garden of a cottage was a full sized Dalek. Not a cardboard box and silver spray carnival costume Dalek but it looked like the genuine thing. I wasn't expecting that. It was a pretty dive up the narrow (one car wide) twisting lane though at some points there was so much mud on the road I wasn't sure if I hadn't strayed into a field. At least today it was dry, last time it had been like a mud slick forcing me to drive even slower than usual. 
After meeting all my friends I went into town for more shopping and a visit to the library. I had a parcel to post so I took a chance and tried the main post office. Amazingly it was almost empty with just one customer being served unlike the usual queues which have been know to snake right out of the door. 

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Love the photo of the colt. Ruta, you have taught me much over the years. Today, Dalek???? Google pretty much indicates it's a science fiction character. Right?

Ruta M. said...

Daleks are robot like characters from the iconic TV series Dr Who. Generally they only say 'exterminate' before blasting humans whom they have a general dislike for.