Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 26 May 2014

Dry.

No rain at all today and even a fair amount of sun. This morning I moved the pine cupboard back and treated the inside with woodworm killer to be on the safe side. I also glued the slightly falling apart door, a job which I have been meaning to do for a long time. Then we moved the table and chairs and I put the next section of tiles down. They've had 2 coats of varnish and I'll give them a third later tonight. I'm going to keep on varnishing until the tin is empty. Looking at the new honey coloured tiles remind me of our home in London where we had them from the front door right through to the back of the house. In contrast the ones we put down 20 years ago in the kitchen have aged to a dark mottled brown. The result of country family life I suppose.
This rose is high up above the front door so I didn't notice the moth until I enlarged the picture. My book says it is a mottled umber moth. 
I planted the new water lily in the pond where there were a number of red darters and a few bright blue darters. I squeezed the extra surfinias into the hanging baskets and also planted the nemophila that I had grown from seed. They weren't very big but already had a lot of roots so I hope they will survive. In between varnishing the floor I carried on with weeding the new veg patch. I'm nearly done but my knees had had enough. Incidentally last night I found that kneeling on the floor to do the tiling had given me a big blister on my knee. This I discovered when I was putting anti-inflammatory gel on my knees for my arthritis. That gel stings! I made sure to kneel on a cushion today. When I'm working outside I always kneel on several foam mats which also keep off the wet and muck. 

No comments: