Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 3 May 2014

Dry.

The day started overcast but it became sunnier in the afternoon.Although I had a good night's sleep  I found it hard to get going in the morning. I baked a batch of flapjacks for Peter by which time I had woken up enough to get on with some outside work.
My latest task is to tidy up the leylandii hedge. Peter had bought me an electric hedge trimmer and it was literally a matter of minutes, well certainly less than half an hour, to cut the first 6ft of the front of the hedge. 
After that it became trickier as I had to balance on a wobbly ladder resting on the hedge itself. No way was I going to wave the hedge trimmer around in that situation so I returned to using a pair of secateurs which left me one hand free to hold on to the hedge. Peter had also bought me a pair of extending branch loppers which were excellent for cutting the bigger branches growing right out of the top of the hedge. By far the longest and most arduous part of the job was picking up all the cuttings from the bank below. However it is a start on a long overdue job.
The first of the hardy geraniums.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Today I dug hosta to take to my son tomorrow. Like, you, I am weeding, making tidy and many, many mental notes about who needs dividing.