Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 30 October 2015

A Day Off.


Yesterday the forecast was for heavy rain in the morning  with a dry warm afternoon. As I watched the early news this morning rain was still promised and there were reports of flooding and some roads closed in Cornwall. Here it was dry outside with dark grey clouds overhead so I waited for the downpour, even putting boots and a coat in my car but the rain never arrived. They were right about the warmth though and this afternoon in town it did feel like the 17C they had talked about.
I've been out for the whole day, first of all meeting up with my friends at the garden centre for chat, coffee and cake. As usual we had a great time but we were all unimpressed by the change of decor and layout in the cafe area. They've installed a long banquette down the middle of the room so all the tables have to be pushed up to it on either side. ( I should have taken a photo but we were too busy talking.) The place now looks like an uninspiring airport waiting area. 
After several hours of catching up with plenty of laughter it was time to head into town proper. One of the things I had planned to do was to book a spray tan for my legs for the wedding. That's because in spite of spending the summer in shorts my legs are sadly pale and I don't want the bother of wearing tights. The spray stuff I have at home takes a day to get the colour so you can't tell how even it is but my friends told me that a lightly tanning moisturiser gives a good effect so that's what I've bought. For a pre-wedding, post-cake baking and decorating treat I have booked a full pedicure and polish for my toe nails. I won't do my finger nails because I don't like the tight feeling of the polish on them. I did some shopping including buying 2 outdoor lights which hopefully will go up this weekend. I also called in at one of the carpet places for a quote for the sitting room because they're offering a deal with free fitting and underlay. Because there's a bit sticking out at the door we would need a bigger piece of carpet but the extra metre would be just right for doing the stairs too. I've asked Peter to hurry up getting a quote from his mate or else I'll go ahead with this offer.
Yesterday the cookie recipe needed 1 egg and 1 yolk. I couldn't waste the spare egg white so I made so meringue cuite  which I made into tiny meringue shells. Waste not, want not.
It was already getting dark when I went out to take some photos this afternoon. A whole flock of pheasants must have been wandering around the back of the riding school because they kept flying across the garden in panic. Their wings make the oddest flapping whirring sound, a bit like opening an old sliding door. You can hear the sounds here , the Pheasant Flush is the flying sound and Pheasant 2 is the call we hear a lot especially when they are roosting in the evening.

No comments: