Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 3 October 2015

Warm.

It has been a little cloudier today but pleasantly warm and frequently sunny. The warm weather did tempt me outside to move 2 more plants and then cut down one of the big stands of purple loosestrife. In retrospect I don't think that was a good idea as my back is twinging horribly. I'll try and take more rest tomorrow.
I did spend a couple of hours watching Downton and then wedding dress shows while I stood and brushed my favourite black fleece. I wear it a lot to school and washing tends to matt  the pile so unless I want to throw it out and buy another a brushing I will go. It does make a mess so there was extra hoovering to do too. I'm fond of my trusty orange Vax which can also be used for washing but the head has been driving me mad. It has a rocker switch which you are supposed to be able to operate with your foot, to go between carpet and hard surface mode. Not only do I have to pick it up and move the switch by hand to put it into carpet mode but 9 times out of 10 I put it down and it flicks back over again. As one of the little wheels is missing as well I thought it time to find a replacement. I didn't find the original part for sale on eBay (my go-to shopping site) but I've ordered one that looks similar and appears to be the right size.
Having bought some prepared hyacinth bulbs I thought I had better get on and plant them especially if I want to use some for Christmas presents. I got the plant pots then opened the bag of compost to find it soaking wet, so wet that this newt was living in there. I've put the compost in the pots and left them to drain overnight so hopefully I'll be able to plant the bulbs tomorrow.  
My head is a little all over the place today. Because I earn a different amount each month (and don't trust on-line banking) I write down how much I take out of my account. I was updating this today and the number of times I had to cross things out was not good. Then I discovered I had defrosted 4 lamb shanks rather than 2 and finally the red cabbage I was defrosting turned out to be blackcurrants. Tomorrow had better be a proper rest day before I'm back at work for 3 days in a row. Oh, I wish I could retire!

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh the blue sky in the last picture is fantastic. A great back drop for the flowers.
Resting your back sounds like a good idea.
Chilly and windy here today.