Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 25 October 2015

The Clocks Go Back.


With the end of British Summer Time we got an extra hour in bed this morning though having darkness descend at 5.30 is not too wonderful. 
Peter is out on the river again. Yesterday he was just doing his cox training but today he is rowing as well as cox training. Apparently he's nearly ready to be signed off as a fully trained cox so he'll get more time out on the river even when he's not fit enough to row. I stayed at home and decided to do some light gardening. That consisted of first tidying up the santolina hedge by cutting back the flower spikes and picking off any fallen leaves. I love blue/grey foliage and the hedge will remain like this until I cut it back hard in the spring. Then I moved to weeding some of the flower beds including the new bed with ornamental grasses at the back of the house. I cleared all the fallen leaves so that I could remove any weed daring to grow there but I'll leave any more that fall as they'll cover the bare earth nicely. Also if I remember correctly from my uni days, beech leaves contain a toxin that prevents weed seeds from germinating hence the lovely bare ground in beech forests.
It's been quite a sunny day and I was tempted to sit and read outside but those weeds will just keep on growing.  

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Your hedge is lovely. We in southeast Michigan got a 1/2 inch of much needed rain Saturday. Today is sunny, cool and beautiful. The trees are changing fast leaving behind many leafs. My husband delights in collecting the leafs for chopping. He made a "suction" leaf box that attaches to the bed on his small lawn tractor. He dumps the box and uses a shredder to shred the leafs that are eventually added to my garden. He does this several times a week as we have three maples and two cottonwoods in our yard and that makes for many leafs.

happyone said...

We don't change the clocks here for another couple of weeks.
I'm looking forward to the brighter mornings but it is a trade off for the earlier dark evenings.