Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Here Comes The Rain.

I woke up this morning to rain, it wasn't too bad at first then down came the deluge. I had taken myself back up to bed with a cup of coffee and was watching the start of an episode of Doctors ( a light indulgence) when on screen was the same clock radio that was sitting on my bedside table. Not an amazing coincidence as it's from Argos but the time on both clocks was only 2 mins apart which was a bit of a coincidence. It was still pouring when I got up and the stream was running high so I wrapped up and went to double check on my dams and clear away any leaves.  The first thing I did this morning was to cook up a last batch of stewed apple. I'd picked the last of the apples off the trees and any usable windfalls yesterday. There's plenty of cooked apples in the freezer now.
For the last few weeks, I along with several colleagues have been suffering from a persistent cold that comes and goes, never getting too bad but never clearing up either. Today was a rough day with my throat feeling a bit sore and general grottiness. It should have been a day for curling up on the sofa but instead as I needed stamps and we were almost out of milk I headed off to Tesco's. For a change I went to the smaller one at Ilfracombe. It's slightly closer, the journey is all through the countryside and it's a change from my route to work. As I got to higher ground I could see some lightness in the sky to the south-west. Also as I got to the hill above Ilfracombe there were great views across the Bristol Channel to the misty Welsh hills.
I took a couple of detours on my way back to find some better views. Above is looking north across the sea with Wales just visible on the right-hand side. 
Looking south-wards from a different spot. The very warm conditions created a second low-level layer of clouds over the sea and up the estuary towards Barnstaple. 
Looking more to the south-west with a glimmer of sea and Hartland Point beyond.
I stopped again at Bowden Corner, not a tornado but probably a farmer burning .... something? 
At home there wasn't even any post to cheer me up so I did a lot of work for school. Just for once, hooray! I've been asked to do some work that I've already done with last year's classes so I had the main planning done. Usually I have to start from scratch as I get asked to do something new each half-term.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Lovely photos, Ruta, I don't think we take the time often enough to look to the sky and see the cloud formations. We went for a ride yesterday, the trees are past their color prime but still lovely to see what remained. Rain on the way, quite heavy a good thing for my area.

happyone said...

Terrific pictures. I love looking up at the sky and do it often. : )
It has started raining here this evening with a pretty strong wind too.
Hope your lingering cold clears up.