Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 10 October 2015

An Overseas Visitor.

I had a visit today, from Mary who has been reading my blog for a while. She lives in North Carolina but grew up on the farm next door She is visiting her parents who still live there though the farm is now run by her brother. She knew this place when it really was a farm before the previous owners came and added to the house and terraformed the valley to fit in the swimming pool (now the scree garden) and make the lake. It was lovely to see Mary and find out how her parents are getting on. I'm a naturally garrulous person and it was so nice to chat face to face with someone I've been blog-chatting to. Even though she's been away a long time there were still people and of course places that we both knew.
Peter took this photo of us and I'm sure I'm not really that fat. (He said he couldn't see the screen very well without his glasses.)  Better go on bread and water though until the wedding! 
It wasn't as sunny today, mainly overcast but I did do a little more grass cutting with the long handled shears. Bit by bit and the job will get done. I also cut down the very tall crocosmia on that side of the drive. Cutting was easy, it was the bending down to clear stuff away that isn't so good for my back. 
Then I did settle at the kitchen table to make white leaves, yellow roses and green petals for the cup cakes. Once they're all dry I'll store them in airtight containers until I need them. I'm getting quicker at making the roses so making the rest of the red ones should be fairly easy. I also drew up a timetable for the week before the wedding so I know which 'cake job' I should be doing each day as well as going to work. I certainly won't be taking on any extra teaching work that week.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

What a lovely visit you must have had. I am amazed at your rose leaf expertise .. very good idea to make a "game" plan.

Ruta M. said...

I have to own up. I found some handy leaf cutters that cut the shape and impress the veins on as well but in the distant past I have cut out tiny holly leaves by hand to decorate Christmas cakes.