Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 28 October 2015

The Sun Returns.

The sun was shining this morning and my cold had taken a back seat. Naturally it was going to be a day spent working outside. My plan was do the autumn pruning of the climbers on the front of the house. This is a must-do job so I was thankful to have such a lovely day to do it in. Step 1 was to move the big pots out of the way. Then came the hardest part, bringing down the big ladders from where I had left them in the hens' run. I needed to bring them down anyway before I was tempted to do any more branch cutting. I was looking at one branch a few days ago but as it isn't essential to cut it down I shall leave it.
Then I took a break for breakfast before starting on cutting back the roses and wisteria that were threatening to take over the front of the house. This ladder is nice and long but it is heavy to move around. My biggest worry wasn't falling off the ladder but having it tip over as I tried to move it and smashing a window. That nearly happened right at the end when it got caught on a branch and started to twist. I managed to keep it away from the windows but I expect I'll have a couple of bruises from that incident. I was feeling so brave that where I could I extended the ladder right up to the top and cleaned out the gutters.
Once I had done all the pruning and cleared up I spent the rest of the day picking leaves, twigs and moss from the stones on top of the raised bed before moving the acers back. More leaves will fall as there are still plenty on the trees but it will be an easier job next time.  
The postman drove down in the afternoon bringing 2 parcels, dowels for the wedding cake and a Nessie ladle. I saw it on Facebook a while back and bought myself a cheap version. Fun for serving up those warming winter soups.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

That sure is a huge job you were able to complete. My hats off to you...I am no longer confident about using a ladder. Your ladle will bring a smile to you each time to use it....I think that's the most fun. An everyday utensil that can bring a smile

happyone said...

Cute Nessie ladle. Sure to make the soup taste better. : )