Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 18 July 2016

Phew!

Summer has arrived at last. We are in the middle of a mini (or even micro) heatwave which is due to last .... wait for it ......... 2 days! What excitement. It was lovely to step out of the house this morning into warmth even in the shade. I spent part of the morning working on the bed up by the scree garden, cutting back the London Pride and pulling up a few weeds. As it was a hot day I also did some hoeing in the propagating plots.
At school instead of the usual 2 lessons of RE we all went into the hall for a talk by our local children's librarian about the book reading scheme this summer, for which the children get 'smelly' book cards and if they read 6 books an invite to a disco. She also told the children about other activities that would be happening at the library. She was very good but every now and then she got the children over excited and myself and the teaching assistants who had been left in the hall for crowd control had to do some vigorous shushing and glaring.
The temperature at 6.30 in the garden. It was incredibly hot at school as well and I was glad to see that there is now a school sun hat with a neck flap which some of the children were wearing at playtime. Many had no hat at all and I encouraged them to stay in the shade.
After school I had a doctor's appointment. I had booked a double appointment for which I had saved up a number of small ailments. I had a long hot wait, 30 mins over my appointment time but came out with; a referral to the hospital for my twisting toe, an appointment for a steroid injection for my 'trigger' fingers and the reassurance that the nasal spray that the hospital doctors had been concerned about me taking all the time is in fact safe though I can go to a half dose when my sinuses are not so bad.
The Callistemon bush that I was given as a seedling about 15 years ago is blooming for the first time. 
Overheard in Lidl's- "I don't think I go to Lithuania this year." uttered not by one of the recent migrant workers but by an older lady with a Devonian accent. Bearing in mind this is not a very multi-cultural part of the country it was an unusual thing to hear. Vytas and Sally have spent the last 5 days in Lithuania with friends so I'm looking forward to hearing about their trip.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Wow the thermometer showed HOT. We in Michigan are experiencing hot and dry. The extreme heat builds; and when a storm comes, lots of damage to trees, houses, and electric lines. Summer's powerful storms cause me a lot of anxiety. Enjoy hearing from Vytas and Sally about their Lithuanian adventures.