Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 23 July 2016

Warm.

Lovely weather again today so much of my day has been spent outside. With only 2 big logs to saw I decided they could simply be stacked by the shed and instead I weeded and swept the concrete. There is a bit more moss to scrape up and a couple of corners to sweep but already it looks a lot better. 
In the afternoon I was back working on the scree garden pulling up big clumps of ornamental grasses and digging out bracken which had crept in while my back was turned. At the moment it looks a bit like a battlefield with dry stalks and leaves covering the stones but hopefully that can be cleared in a few afternoons. It was easy deciding which of the brown grass clumps had to go as only the new plants have the vivid almost red mahogany colour. At one point I lost my favourite weed grubber tool but after checking all the places I was likely to have left it I found it in the heap of discarded grass clumps. Luckily I didn't have to look too far. Yesterday I had thrown away one of my knee pads after the velcro had stuck to my glove when I was taking the last load to dump but I realised quickly where it had gone.
It was still warm  enough to make it relaxing to sit outside after I'd had a shower. Tea, a book, cats and a warm breeze make for a perfect end to the day.


2 comments:

Harriet said...

Thank you, Ruta, for answering my Thursday question. Two more today, please name the lovely pink flowers and the moth. I can 'see' why ornamental grass quickly becomes very bossy. Like you, I too, love to see the grass movement as well as the 'swish' sound of the wind blowing through it. I smiled because I have 'lost' many tools while gardening.

Ruta M. said...

The pink flower in the first picture is purple loosestrife a perennial that is actually a native wild flower but also a garden flower as it is good for butterflies. The only drawback is that it grows to nearly 6 ft and has to be completely cut back each year after flowering.
The butterfly is a small cabbage white. I didn't realise until looking at my close up pictures how blue and fluffy its body is.