Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 20 July 2016

School's Out For Summer.

It was much cooler this morning with hazy skies and strong winds blowing. By 7.30 I could see clouds/mist being blown across the garden. I did go and do some work, mainly sawing logs and although the air was full of water droplets I only got wet when big drops rolled off the leaves of the tree above me. I carried on until it began to rain lightly when I headed indoors and ironed most of yesterday's washing. It warmed up later in the day and by the afternoon there were longer spells of sunshine framed by fluffy but very grey clouds. Somebody's in for heavy rain.
At school the children had been allowed to bring in a toy to play with. I rescued a flip chart from the class bin for the children to draw on the backs of the extra large sheets of paper. I would much rather see the children occupying themselves in a creative fashion rather than relying on a dvd. Some of the children found other imaginative ways to use the paper rolling it up to make objects to play with (they had been warned that any fighting with swords or spears would result in the loss of their paper). One child spent a long time sweeping the classroom with his 'broom'. All that fun from something that had been thrown away. I also allowed them to play outside so long as they stayed in my view and didn't disappear behind the play house or the climbing wall. We went out for an early playtime and I opened up the field so they could all have a good run around. A much better incentive to run when there is a long space in front of you and soft grass to land on should you fall. Most falls on the playground itself result in scraped knees or hands which doesn't encourage the children to be really active.
After school I went over to the Co-Op to pick up some baking supplies and then home I came to celebrate the start of the holidays with a slice of cheesecake that had been in the reduced section. At home it was beginning to feel chilly but that didn't stop me from sawing up one more log with the bow saw.
A Silver Y moth.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Enjoy the holiday. : )

Harriet said...

Your photos of Astilbe are excellent. Enjoy your time off.