Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 16 July 2016

Wet Green Man Day.

It was very quiet here last night with Peter away, no snoring - which was wonderful, but far too quiet with no one to talk to. I could quite easily turn into a mad cat lady holding conversations with her cats. ( Hang on, I already talk to my cats, the rot has already set in.) On the plus side I was able to sing along to Jeff Buckley on my MP3 player without being shouted at by Peter who can sleep through the radio, tv and babies crying (when we had them) but stirs into action at the slightest hum. I haven't heard from him yet but expect him home any time now. 
One thing I discovered about having an 'off the diet' day is that some of the things I thought I wanted turned out to be too sweet and the tastiest 'cheat' was a bowl of boiled new potatoes sprinkled with grated cheese. They were so tasty that I'm having some more this evening but bulked out with cauliflower.  
Looking out of the window this morning all was misty and wet. I didn't rush into town hoping that things would dry up but when I drove up the hill it was straight into the clouds with about 100 yds visibility. When I parked in the school car park my carefully chosen festival outfit got covered up by my trusty pink rain jacket. I went into town first to change my library books and buy some more gardening gloves as the old ones have holes in the fingers. I also called into BHS and bought this fluffy key ring. It should make it easier to find my keys in the bottom of my school bag. I also checked out the Next sale and bought another vest - what a surprise, but it wasn't black. It's a dark peach/orange colour.
Having left the books and shopping in my car I headed to a damp Pilton Street to take in the Green Man Festival. 
There were still plenty of people braving the weather which varied from light drizzle to dry and then to rain.  
I spent a happy hour walking around the festival, taking in  Bicycle Repair Man who were playing on the middle stage. The organisers have stuck to having local  musicians rather than having bigger names which then draw in a rowdier crowd.
There was the usual tempting array of food, some homemade and some from professional food sellers. Having had sufficient sweet things at home I was drawn to the savoury items. I ended up having a slice of hot home-made leek and potato pie from a vegan stand which was so good that on my way back down the street I had a slice of lentil pie from the same stand.
(Peter has returned home looking very brown and having had an amazing time, will post some of his photos tomorrow.)
Driving home I stopped at Burridge to photograph the mini clouds being formed at the head of the Muddiford valley.  


3 comments:

Harriet said...

Lovely photos but I am mystified....is that an owl or my imagination. If it's an owl how were you able to take the photo?

Ruta M. said...

That's a Barn Owl which was part of the Owl Rescue display at the festival. They bring along a number of owls and had a buzzard and Lanner Falcon all sitting on wooden stands making it easy to take photos. We hear plenty of Barn Owls but it's not so easy to get a photo of them in the wild.

happyone said...

I was going to ask about the owl too. Great shot.