Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 22 September 2017

Autumn Equinox.

Now the nights will be longer than the days making the sun even more precious. I find it comforting to be able to observe nature's rhythms though I'm also grateful for a warm home that gives protection from the elements when needed. 
This morning the spider hammock webs stood out as they glistened with sparkling drops of dew. The day itself started with bright sunshine soon turning to mostly gentle rain.
After saying I wouldn't do any more gardening I was back out this morning trying to locate an electrical junction box which used to lie in some rough ground. The cables leading in and out are armoured electrical cable but I thought it would be helpful to the new people if I pinpointed exactly where the box was. I'm not even sure if our memories of the box are from before or after the bore hole was installed 20 years ago. I'm assuming that the pump in the bore hole gets its power from that cable so maybe it got buried to a safer depth at that time. I scraped off the turf in the area I thought it might be and even tried to use the metal and electrical detector but found no wires or junction box. I shall just mark out the whole of that area on a map of the garden on which I plan to show as much of the underground stuff as I can. 
All my life I've been an untidy person who aspires to be tidy. Having had the place in what I consider to be a quite tidy state for the last 18 months I now find that I'm uncomfortable with piles of 'stuff' in the process of being sorted. Have I become a genuine tidy person? Probably not. I've never liked any sort of change and it's hard enough to see bare spaces where furniture has already gone not to mention the utter quiet now Squeaky's not around in the evenings. I don't trust the other 2 cats not to bring in their prey for us to find in the morning but once we move they'll have a cat flap out into the garden. I suspect that with his lack of jumping ability Patch may not be able to get over the garden walls though no doubt Speedy will be out and about once I allow them out. 
This afternoon while rain fell steadily I packed up more of the extra kitchen stuff that will go into storage. Naturally the bone china tea set and the blue glass collection all had to be washed first before being carefully cocooned in bubble wrap. Packing away the books will be a lot quicker though I have to wait for Peter to make one more sort out of books to go to the charity shop.

2 comments:

happyone said...

The thing I don't like about the short days is that I now have to walk in the dark in the morning.

Gerry said...

Although we know well in advance the dates of the equinoxes I'm always surprised when they've arrived. Through our years in Canada today would be the day that we begin to shut down the house and grounds in order to to be ready to get back to England in the first week of October. Always so much to do, clean the farming equipment, shut down the pool, check and repair the fencing for weaknesses, etc, and finally the house. We even used to tape up the doorways, floor registers (for the heating) and windows to prevent cedar bugs and others getting in!

You're very good about leaving everything ready for the new house owners, we've done it for our last few moves, pages and pages of info etc, but it often seems to be a thankless task. No-one's ever done it for me!