Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 27 September 2017

Wet.

The day began dry but with rain forecast and indeed arriving later in the day the first job of the morning was to drive my car up the hill and leave it by the field. This is because another van from a local charity is coming tomorrow, hopefully to take away the rest of our spare furniture. They said their van is smaller than the hospice's van which did manage to turn around in our yard but it would be somewhat awkward to have to go next door and ask for yet another tow out of our place. 
I took the opportunity to go right up to the road to collect the wooden crate I'm using for the recycling until they deliver a new plastic box. Tucked into the lid of the wheelie bin was a printed notice from the council. As our rubbish is collected by some men in a truck rather than a big dustcart which has a mechanism to tip in the contents of a wheelie bin they don't want the rubbish bags to be left in the wheelie bin. The alternatives they offer are; to place the rubbish bags next to the wheelie bin, leave the bags in standard size dustbins and if it is likely that the local wildlife will raid the bags then we should put an old blanket over the bags. That doesn't sound too helpful. Luckily they also suggest placing an upturned bucket in the wheelie bin so that the bags are nearer to the top. I think that's what I'll do.
While I was collecting the crate a car drew up. The couple in it told me that they had come across a car abandoned in the ditch just around the corner. They must have got out and checked because they said there wasn't anyone around but they were still going to report it to the police and wanted to know the exact location which I was able to give them. We've had a lot of traffic coming down our normally quiet road as the main road through Muddiford is closed for a couple of weeks while a fallen wall is repaired. It would be very easy for everyone to assume that somebody had already reported the car when in fact nobody had. A friend in the emergency services said they never mind if they get numerous calls about the same incident.
The next thing to do was to dismantle the pine double bed in one of the spare rooms. The centre bar is broken but only needs a replacement straight piece of wood for it to be fixed. I'll offer it to the people tomorrow and if they don't want it I'll take it down to the dump and leave it with all its fixings. 
Once the bed was dismantled I found this ring underneath. It could have been there for years. I sent the photo to friends and family who have slept in that room to see if anyone claims it.
For the rest of the day I've been sorting and packing. It was mostly books today some of which can be given away which is good. I've kept a few of my favourite children's books from when the boys were little and a few from my childhood too.

No comments: