Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 21 September 2017

Memories.

After a wet morning the day became bright and sunny. Perfect conditions for working outside but I'm not motivated to garden for somebody else and probably hurt my back at the same time.
I woke up very early, around 5.30 and because a solution to a problem was going through my head I ended up getting up and drinking coffee while checking things out on the internet. The particular problem was - What to do with our large but old chest freezer? It won't fit in the new house and our neighbours don't want it. Then I remembered that the bigger electrical stores have a 'take away' service when you buy large electrical items. I couldn't find anywhere that did it for free but a charge of £20 is not that much. As we will be in town and only a short bike or car ride away from the supermarket an upright fridge/freezer will be sufficient. First we have to eat our way through the freezer as it needs to be empty and dry before it can be removed.
The man from the removal company came around to give us a price for the removal. We may only use them for the house to house part of the move as hopefully Peter is organising taking the stuff to the storage place but the removal company will give us a price for that just in case. You can get them to do the whole job including packing stuff into boxes, taking down curtains etc. but I think we can manage that especially as we have time to do it. Today I continued packing away things for storage and putting more ceramic and glass ware in the charity shop pile.
I've now started on the contents of a large cupboard in the sitting room. Some things like my many photo albums which are so precious to me will not be going into storage just in case something dreadful happens. While I was going through the cupboard I came across some photos from the boys' primary school from 1994 and 1995. Note, they are not class photos but the whole school.  They come with all the names printed underneath and I spotted our surveyor's daughters in the photos. My other trip down memory lane was when I went through our record collection. (We do have a turntable to digitise them but most of them are a bit on the scratchy side.) My contribution to the collection included a lot of classical music, Dylan, Donovan, Leonard Cohen and The Incredible String Band, (Far Out!) to name a few while from Peter came Rock, Blues and Country and from both of us were bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, Elton John and Wings so we have a few doubles of their albums. 
Clearing out the kitchen cupboard I came across this photo of Squeaky when she first came, I think she was about 12 weeks old. Below is the spot where she is now sleeping. I gathered moss from around the garden to grow over the mound and today the sun was shining just on that spot.
On FB I get posts from a local 'For Sale' group and this morning up pops an electric piano. Not only was it around the same price as the keyboard pianos I'm looking at but the seller was someone I know personally. However because it stands on solid legs it takes up the same amount of space as a real piano. I need something I can put on the kitchen table to play as it's the same height as my piano, and then put away when I'm not using it.
I'm trying to be very organised and every box is numbered and the contents written in a notebook. Better not lose the notebook! 

3 comments:

happyone said...

You sound like your very organized. When will you be moving?

Ruta M. said...

It's not finalised quite yet but hopefully all the legal stuff will be done and contracts exchanged on November 3rd. That's the standard amount of time here in the UK.

happyone said...

Oh that will be here before you know it. It's Ken's birthday. : )