Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 9 October 2021

Grey.

Overcast and moderately warm today.
This morning's viewing included two paddleboarders lazily poottling about with much laughter each time one of them fell of their board. While beyond them somebody was waterskiing which I haven't seen that often here. The boat towing the skier stayed on the far side of the line of buoys which mark the 8 knot speed limit near the beach. (We originally thought these were lobster pot markers but they are much bigger than lobster pot buoys.)
And in the far distance there was a blob in the sky which with binoculars revealed itself to be the coastguard's helicopter. Later I saw a post on FB saying this was a combined exercise with some of the local lifeboat crews.
My morning job was cutting back the hedge by the side of the terrace. I filled the whole of my big green garden bag with branchesd leaving the hedge looking bare from our side. It should fill out again with next year's new growth and I will have a line of planted stone (cement) tubs along that edge of the terrace. Now the hedge will be easier to trim and won't be in the way of the builders when they come to re-do the terrace. Also it might help with the powdery mildew in the hedge.
Peter went off to row in the afternoon. While he was out I did some cobbling together of curtain poles. I didn't have a curtain pole in my stash to go across the 6ft wide window in his study but I did have two cream coloured metal poles that were 6ft long and a couple of short wooden poles also cream of exactly the same diameter. I made a joint by carefully carving 2 inches of the end of one of the wooden poles so that it fitted inside the metal pole. This made an extra long pole that I could cut to overlap the window. This I put up at one of our bedroom windows to hang the unlined curtains from leaving the the much stronger metal pole that was originally there to go in Peter's study as his curtains are heavy, lined and padded ones. (Give yourself a pat on the back if that all made sense.)
In between jobs I sat out on the terrace watching the surfers take advantage of the increasing swell which was bringing in clean single waves just right for beginners. The first time I sat outside I had to leave my camera and Kindle inside because the sea mist was making the air feel damp.


No comments: