Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 8 October 2021

Mild.

Quite grey for most of the day. It was mild enough for me to sit outside in my dressing gown to drink my morning cuppa. If I've had a sleepless night or too many morning aches and pains I'm only too grateful for the cup of tea Peter brings me to drink in bed as I haul myself to a wakeful state but after a full night's sleep and no aches I'm straight up and ready to start the day.
The sun finally broke through late in the afternoon just in time for the youngsters' surfing lesson.
I've had a busy day, first thing after breakfast we loaded up the car with bags of garden waste and off I went to the dump. From there I went to Morrison's where shock horror there were no oat cakes but I did find a couple of plants, a white thrift and a random cottage garden plant that had pretty pink flowers on the label to take advantage of the 2 for £3 offer. Then to Tesco's to change the trousers I bought for Peter which were too short but unfortunately they didn't have the correct length in his size. Finally a quick stop at Lidl. It would be better to reverse the order in which I visit the supermarkets as Lidl is cheaper than Morrison's but they don't have such a good range and at the moment there are often gaps on the shelves at Lidl's. But if I'm going to the dump I'm already on the far side of town where Morrison's is and it would be silly to drive past and then back again.
As I drove along the country road to and from town I worked on my Welsh pronunciation. So far this is how I remember the new sounds (apologies to any Welsh speakers if this isn't correct); dd - that (compared to th - this), ch - Khalid, Khan, rh -clearing your throat and the hardest of them all ll- the hiss of an angry wild cat. Sometimes it seems like every Welsh place name has ll or ch so even if we weren't trying to learn the language we would have to learn these sounds. Oh and by the way it's not just Welsh, North Wales Welsh is different to South Wales Welsh with a gradual transition through mid-Wales. We are learning North Wales Welsh. For example the word for now - in South Wales (and on all road signs) is nawr (nowrr) but in North Wales is rwan (rooan). Mainly as far as I can gather the words have similar beginnings and endings with different middles. All very complicated.
While I was out in town Peter used the drill to break up more of the concrete in the back garden. He'd spotted the neighbours going out and thought it was a good opportunity to work without disturbing them. Once I'd had a break I bagged up the new pile of concrete pieces and filled another with subsoil before filling the hole in the ground with fairly decent soil.
After all that it was still warm so I sat out on the terrace reading and people watching.
 

No comments: