Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 19 October 2021

Wet.

Grey and a lot wetter today. There's a yellow weather warning out for thunderstorms in the early hours with heavy rain and an increased risk of flooding and that's for the whole of Wales.
This morning we drove out to a proper garden centre out beyond Aber. As we explored a back road (not quite the right way) we came across a lovely bit of forest with parking and a footpath that looked perfect for exploring. It wasn't raining that much but I couldn't persuade Peter. His excuse reason was that it looked to be too wet for his walking boots (which I'm sure are waterproof) and that he needed his wellies which were at home. True I was wearing wellies, my blue going out ones, maybe we'll walk there one day.
The garden centre was easy to find, once we were on the right road and it was much like most garden centres. As we're heading towards winter the stocks were quite low. They had a few herbs so I bought a golden thyme and a purple leaved sage. If I'm patient and wait until spring I'm sure I'll find plenty of herbs to chose from and if Morrison's have any they'll be a lot cheaper too.
The glass building is the restaurant/cafeteria which I've been told is very good. Inside the quality of indoor plants and sundries was excellent but a lot less than I'm used to especially of the fripperies. I was hoping to find a couple of interesting hanging plants for the sitting room side window but all they had were air plants which are too small for the space.
When we got home I planted my two herbs and then as the rain was easing off stayed out for some grubbing about. And very messy grubbing it was too as I knelt on wet clay soil to dig out yet another rusty meta-post. I also dug out a large concrete slab which I was planning to turn on its side to edge a plant bed. But when I eventually heaved it up I found it wasn't a flat plank-like shape but a heavy duty coping stone. So now I'm going to use it and the others that are there to make a concrete path along the side of the plant bed. I quite enjoy working out how to make the best use of the materials I have to hand and of course it saves money too.
Peter seems to be getting through the cookies quite quickly (I don't eat any due to being on a diet which at long last is working) so this afternoon I made another batch. I've been a bit sneaky and made them smaller so they'll last longer. I wonder if Peter'll notice?
I was washing up my baking clutter, looked out of the window and saw ..... a squirrel on the terrace table. That's the first time I've seen one at all here. It stayed for a while looking at me before jumping off the table onto the handrail of the railings. Maybe it came to look at the twirly thing which is twisting and making different shapes in the wind. I treated myself to it after recieving an unexpected gift. It's bordering on the 'twee' but is pleasant to watch when the wind catches the vanes. I'd love to have a proper sculptural one like the ones I saw at Rosemoor but they're hundreds of pounds so this will do for me.
When I tried to take a photo of the squirrel on the handrail my camera surprised me by displaying a 'Memory is Full' sign and refused to take any photos. Strange as I format the card every day. However I had a look on line and it seems my camera wasn't picking up the memory card. Once I'd taken the card out, blown in it for luck and to remove any dust and put it back normal service was restored. Big sigh of relief there.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Impressive garden center.