Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 13 October 2021

Zoo Day.

Very grey today but no rain until later in the afternoon.
I did go down to the zoo for the morning (and longer) but in my rush to get out forgot to pick up my camera from my study. Then I also left my bag behind at the zoo. Not my handbag which I keep in the car but just a bag with face mask, glasses and a hat. With no camera I can't show my magnificent effort in weeding half of the larger children's play area but it looks so much better. Too much to do the whole thing in one go so that's next week's task sorted out. It was so quiet when I began weeding, no visitors and even the animals were quiet. The noisy parrots from last week must have been moved off site as they don't count as domestic animals. However one of the fluffy bantams has turned out to be a cockerel and is working on his crowing. Later there were a few visitors and once their food arrived the goats began their usual bleating.They were very short on helpers today and one of the two employees was sent home as she was going down with a cold so there wasn't much chance to chat today. Even though I didn't have my camera I had a little wander round after finishing weeding. The baby guinea pigs were still hiding in the sleeping box but in another cage two friendly grey and white rats came out to see me. I don't like rats as a whole but these two are rather cute. I also found out that the fluffy rabbit whose photo I posted last week is a young angora rabbit called Roger who was rescued from a home where he wasn't being cared for properly (angora rabbits need daily brushing) and a lot of his matted fur had to be clipped away which is why he looks a bit ragged at the moment.
It was still very grey when I got home but instead of my usual collapse in the armchair I put on a warm bodywarmer and sat out on the terrace with a coffee and my Kindle. While I was weeding at the zoo and mulling things over I came to the conclusion that I just prefer to be outside even if it is on my knees pulling up weeds. Which is why I had an enjoyable afternoon sitting out in the cooler air.
Meanwhile Peter drove to town to pick up a big hammer drill from the hire shop and do some shopping at Morrison's. I haven't seen the drill yet but he assures me that it will get through the concrete in no time. His journey home was took longer than usual because the nicer route home, which winds through country lanes and includes one steep hairpin bend was blocked by this car transporter which had failed to make it round said bend. This photo came from a local FB page and while some comments berated the driver others were more sympathetic and suggested it was more likely due to firms employing inexperienced drivers during this current shortage of truck drivers.  Peter tried to drive along here at least an hour after this photo was taken but was turned around before he got this far and had to take the main road home. 
Peter's shopping included this bottle of apple pie Bailey's. Bailey's is about the only alcohol I drink and when Morrison's had this 'special edition' I was tempted. It was expensive but now that they're getting to the end of the promotion the price has dropped to less than the standard version so Peter thought he'd treat me. I'll just have to test it tonight and hopefully it will be as nice as it sounds.


No comments: