Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 13 February 2020

Cold.

The northerly winds have been bringing lots of cold air and frequent showers. There have also been spells of bright sun.
While Peter was out I planned to pack up all the books in the small bookcase in his study and clean whatever mould was on the wall behind. As I picked up the books I saw that they too had been badly affected by the mould. It may be time for these books that are up to 50 years old to go. However I had a try at cleaning them up. First I hoovered with a little brush attachment which got most of the grey mould off. I then sprayed with bleach, wiped and sprayed again.
The damaged books are now all in boxes and hopefully drying off in the middle of the room. That's what happens with no ventilation, warmth and a cold wall. The bookcase was also wiped down with bleach and is on offer on the Don't Bin it FB page. The wall behind the bookcase was in a pretty poor state but my bleach spray/paper towels/cotton buds technique got it looking clean again. To be fair I think the textured wallpaper in that room was put up a long time ago, painted over by the last owners and could do with stripping off and the walls being repapered.
Having left the door open, which doesn't usually happen, I later found Speedy fast asleep in Peter's chair. After dealing with Peter's study and the usual housework I still had some time to sit and knit watching the birds visiting the feeder.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Too bad about the books!
We've had quite a bit of wind today too. Now snow is blowing sideways - not supposed to amount to anything though.