Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 29 January 2021

Cloud Bow.

Grey and wild today.
Building work carried on today. The inside team unloaded the tiles for the utility room and put another self-levelling layer on the floor while the outside team took down the lean-to's and the back fence and took everything down to the dump. The concrete blocks from a couple of walls have been kept and stacked up in the back garden. These will be used to fill up the bottoms of the raised beds when they are eventually built. We're glad we decided to have the builder deal with the fence in the back garden because it turns out that the top rows of bricks are leaning and need to be taken off. Once they've done that they're going to form a concrete beam along the top to strengthen it before fixing the posts to the inside of the wall. The neighbours' garden is about 3 feet higher up than ours so it's not just a matter of concreting posts into the ground.
On my way to get some milk naturally I went down for a walk on the beach. The sea was wild and foamy which lead to a slight miscalculation on my part. Walking along the edge of the waves I wasn't concerned when a wave swept up, after all it only came up to my ankles. What I hadn't taken into account was the amount of energy in the wave which splashed right up to my knees and then down into my wellies. One boot only got a little water while the other was distinctly squelchy. No water came out when I tipped my boot up but the sheepskin insole and my sock were soaked. There was no point in abandoning my walk so I carried on. One good thing about lycra leggings is that they dry off quickly in the wind.
A sign of how powerful the sea is - this huge rock which must have come from one of the breakwaters has been washed onto the beach in the last few days. Looking at the beachfront properties behind I see that a couple of them are having work done on their chimneys. Not surprising with the strong winds that blow in from the sea. I always said we should get our chimneys removed and that was the advice from our new builder. Might as well avoid the possibility of the chimneys crashing down through the roof.

We had some blue skies in the afternoon which yet again changed the colours of the sea. Strong winds brought out the kite surfers, haven't seen them for a while.
I know I get excited by rainbows but below is a rare cloud bow, something I've never seen before. I had to look it up to check that it is a real thing.
Instead of walking through the utility room where the floor was drying to get to the back garden to check on progress and to take cups of strong tea to the builders (I use a separate set of mugs and t-towel for the builders) I've been going out of the front door and along the street to the garage. On one of these trips I was surprised to see a small grey box containing stamped and addressed letters and packages on our street wall. I looked but there was no one around, how strange. A little while later the air began to get damp so I went out with a clear plastic bag to put over the box. It was then I saw that the grey box was marked Royal Mail which led me to believe that the box held the contents of the post box across the road. The postman comes in his van in the morning, empties the box and delivers letters to the houses in our road. Maybe our builders' trucks had distracted him and he forgot to put the grey box in his van. Not wanting to get him in trouble I waited until late in the afternoon when it began raining and then put all the post back into the post box leaving the grey box with a note explaining what I'd done next to the post box.
 

No comments: