Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 11 January 2021

Wet.

The rain arrived in the middle of the day while the wind has been blowing all day long sending great breakers racing across the bay.
I took myself back into town where the streets were fairly deserted. Paid my bills at the bank and did a little shopping at Lidl's. I'd planned to buy some sauerkraut to cook with the remaining Polish sausage which eaten with boiled potatoes is a typical Lithuanian meal. I couldn't see any and when I asked a member of staff she didn't even know what sauerkraut was. Luckily the cashier knew and said they only had it when there were special promotions. I know they have it in Morrisons though I'm not planning on going back to town for a while.
With Peter ordering the materials he needs to rebuild the collapsed fence (below) I thought I might as well buy the trellis too. I don't have any grand scheme for the back garden but there's such a mish-mash of walls and fences I plan to line the whole thing with curved top trellis. I'd found a trellis I liked but it comes from abroad and is 183cms wide instead of the standard 180 cms and to top it all you can't order it at the moment. Looking around I found a similar trellis which I could buy through Screwfix (a large building supplies company). Better than that if I bought a 3 pack the price dropped to £53. Checking the Screwfix site I found you could buy the panels in 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 packs. Hoping that would reduce the price even further I began jotting down numbers and doing a little calculating. I couldn't believe my answers and even though I'm confident in my maths I used a calculator on the pc to check but for 6-10 packs the price worked out at £70 per panel while for the 4 and 5 packs it was £55 and for a 3 pack it was £53. How does that work? Maybe they're the more popular  packs. I happily checked my measurements and decided that I could do with 18 panels. Before ordering I double checked all the prices, correct, and finally had a look at the reviews. Only two reviews one of which was a positive comment about being able to buy a pack of 3 and one really bad review. Some of the panels had arrived damaged and the rest were of such poor quality they could be pushed apart with a finger. The reviewer sent all of his panels back and said 'Don't buy.' Not surprisingly I didn't go ahead and order. It's such a shame there isn't anywhere I can actually go and look some trellis.
The collapsing fence (below) being held up by bits of wood.

In town I had to go to Poundland to get some more fat balls for the birds and at the same time I bought some cat toys for Speedy. They're fabric balls with a bunch of chicken feathers sticking out and Speedy absolutely loves them. 
Now you see him .......... now you don't.
 

No comments: