Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 19 January 2021

Wet.

Grey and wet today as we wait for Storm Cristoph to arrive. 

Already there are a large number of flood warnings for Wales and this morning the railway line near here was closed due to flooding.
After not going to bed until after 2.00 I was woken this morning by the crowing of the doorbell (it got changed by accident and we've kept it because it's funny.) It was the decorators come to start painting. Luckily Peter was awake and ready to let them in.
It's amazing how much difference a coat of paint makes. 
However when I went in to measure up the windows for curtain poles I noticed this.......
 
It's easier to see once I put a square sheet of sandpaper there and added lines. That side reveal of the window is completely out of square. The edge with the black line leans over to the left and the reveal slopes inwards to meet the window. Living in an old farmhouse I'm used to everything being out of true but when you've paid to have a modern room taken back to basics and then plastered it's not good enough. Peter wasn't as put out as I was but when the painter came back from his lunch break he said straight away it was unacceptable. Then he pointed out that the other side was a little out as well. After which I spotted that one join between a wall and the ceiling and a side corner were kind of wobbly. Oh dear. The painter took photos and sent them to the boss who's coming round tomorrow.
I still didn't manage to get a delivery slot from Wickes, I think I'll have to get to the site at 8.00 to have a chance. With the work now in progress I thought I better start planning the bathroom make-over. To that end I went back to looking at teak backless benches as I want to put one in the shower. Much nicer than putting in one of those plastic and metal 'invalid' shower chairs when we get to needing one. I found exactly what I had in mind and though it was nearly £300 decided to order it. Then when I got to the checkout there was an extra £85 for shopping. That was a price too much especially as most other places offer free shipping when you're spending that much. Now I'm looking at buying a teak duckboard and having supports built in. That would be a lot cheaper.
Still raining, thank goodness we're high up.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Too bad about that being out of line and it seems quite a bit too. Yes, I agree, you expect that in old houses but not new work being done.