Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 18 January 2021

Grey.

A very restricted view today with low cloud bringing soft rain. I wasn't tempted out except for a brief foray to photograph some wet garden plants.
My first job of the day was to finalise the layout for the utility room. I wanted to fit in as much storage as possible though it's not a very big room, has two doors and where I want to put cupboards there are corners. I don't like corners, they're awkward especially when you have to fit in a washing machine and a fridge-freezer. In the end after some shuffling round of small bits of paper on a scale plan of the room I'm happy with the layout. The sink, washing machine and another cupboard will be in a line while the fridge will have to stand on its own on another wall. 
Having worked out what I need I then had the fun job of going on-line to to order everything. That went well until I came to choose the worktop. As it's a utility room I'm going for cheap and functional so I went straight to the laminate worktops where I couldn't decide between wood effect or grey stone effect. In the end I chose wood effect to match the wood effect ceramic floor tiles. Then I thought to check the real wood worktops and for only another £10 I can have a beech worktop so that's what I went with. 
The next stumbling block was choosing possible tiles for the main bathroom. I haven't found anywhere here that I can actually look at tiles apart from an expensive kitchen place so I thought I might be able to buy some sample tiles to include with the order from Wickes so I don't have to pay a delivery charge. It was frustrating to find that most of the tiles said suitable for bathrooms but not suitable for wet rooms even though they show a photo of them in a shower. I looked up the difference between a shower and a wet-room and it seems to be that a shower has a tray while a wet-room has a sloping floor. It looks as if a sloping floor might be an expense too far for us so we might compromise with the biggest low profile shower tray instead. In the end I chose two tiles to look at. One a cream coloured stone tile and the other a white/light grey marble effect ceramic tile. I placed my order, filled in all the necessary details and then things ground to a halt. They had no delivery slots in the next 7 days and don't book further ahead. So now I have to keep checking every day until there is a slot available. After all that I had a break and watched my current favourite tv programme, The Great Pottery Throwdown. I don't usually eat lunch but today I treated myself to one of last night's buns, they heat up beautifully with a one minute low setting blast in the microwave.
After my break I went on to order the sink, white with a single drainer, and moulded border tiles to top off the half wall of tiles going in the separate toilet. And that has been my productive day.


 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Lovely to see a flower. Lots more snow here for us today.