Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 17 January 2021

Filled Buns.

Just grey today with a cloudbank sitting on top of the mountains.
It's a good thing the window film is the sort you can take off and put back as today I lost count how many times I took down the various pieces including yesterday's window. Not only did I have to match the stripes going across three windows but I had to add on extra sections at the bottom to get the height I wanted. Got there eventually even though the window on the left had to have two extra strips added as I eked out the 2m piece of film. There's a lot of wastage when you have to match up waves. It's not a perfect job but it blocks out next door's yard full of cars.
Once the window was done I did some fancy baking. Having seen a delicious looking recipe on FB (don't they always look tempting?) I thought I could try it using a packet of cheese and tomato bread mix I'd bought in Morrisons. The recipe used an enriched dough and finished by brushing the top with beaten egg so I did the egg part but didn't add butter to the dough. In the recipe the buns were filled with stir fry veg and scrambled egg but for my version I used some stir fry veg with chopped red onions that had been cooked down with chopped up chorizo. For seasoning I added pepper and smoked paprika and sprinkled grated hard goats' cheese on top. They turned out very tasty though we now have a lot of buns to eat. I think they would be perfect for a picnic or served with soup if ever we have anybody to stay. The bread mix was easy to use as it had the yeast already in and the instructions were for only one rise, I gave it two anyway. Having been such a long time since I made any bread by hand I forgot to oil my hands before kneading and got into a sticky mess before I remembered that a little cooking oil rubbed into your hands keeps them clean. Peter really enjoyed the buns, I thought they were okay but then I don't usually eat much bread and I think the amount of work and cleaning up makes them a special occasion dish only.

 

No comments: