Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 12 February 2021

Sea Unicorns.

Sunny and very cold again today. I woke just before 8.00 as the weather forecaster was predicting top temperatures of 3C/37F for most of the country with 5C/41F for one lucky region (not us). Luckily the storms and snow have passed us by while the lowest temperature recorded -23C/-9.4F was recorded in Scotland. Not the usual British winter.
I'd got fed up with waiting for my washing machine and with going to the launderette so last night I put some t-towels and towels in to soak which of course meant I had to hand wash them this morning. I put up a temporary line in the back garden to hang the washing from and by the end of a windy day they were almost dry.
Then came the packaging of yesterday's efforts and being me I was still rushing down to the Post Office hoping that closing time was 1.00 and not 12.00, which it was. (12.00 closing on Saturdays.) That necessitated a walk along the beach before calling in at the pharmacy for Peter's prescription.
On my way 'up' the beach I tried to get some decent gull reflection shots but either they didn't come out sharp or the background composition wasn't good enough.

On my return from the pharmacy I decided to go back down on the beach to look for icicles. The first thing of interest was this rook searching the rock pools for small molluscs.
The sea comes right up to the cliffs at high tide so these icicles must have formed in the 8 hours since. I put my hand by this one to give an idea of the size. More icicle photos tomorrow. 
That's so I can post these photos of what I've decided to call sea unicorns. We all know what sea horses are and as these have rainbow coloured manes they must be unicorns. Half a dozen surfers were braving the icy waters but they weren't as interesting as the waves.


Last thing this afternoon I went out and dug up two more bramble roots. There are at least a dozen more to remove but bit by bit the job will get done.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Impressive looking waves breaking.