Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 27 February 2021

Sunny.

Bright and sunny today. A bit on the chilly side in the morning the sun soon warmed things up.
This is yesterday's 'treasure'. I still haven't worked out how to show it as we found it yesterday with the sun making the centre sparkle like golden glitter. In fact for quite a while I was convinced that somebody had been messing about with glittery nail polish but no, it's a natural mineral. Don't think it's pyrite (fool's gold), maybe some sort of quartz. I will try and find out more.
Even before breakfast I was out working on the drive dismantling the large wooden pallet the trellis had been on which the delivery driver apologetically said he couldn't take away. With the right tools, mini crow bar and hammer, gloves and my trusty knee pads it was easy to prise off all the planks. Some of the split planks are going to a neighbour across the road who has a wood burner. Once I've de-nailed the rest of the planks, something I didn't have time for today, I'll store them in the  garage as no doubt I'll find a use for them.
The boss builder came round this morning to go with Peter as he drove the camper up to the farm and then drop him back home. Peter tells me the camper is now in a lovely big barn with plenty of room for manoeuvring and it's only 10 minutes away.
While he was off out I did more gardening in the front garden. Another hard to reach bramble dug up and then I began work where a retaining wall had partially collapsed. All I'm doing is separating the decorative blocks and stacking them neatly. Once again having the right tools helps, this time a bolster and small lump hammer plus safety glasses for some happy bashing. There was soil to be cleared up and roots including nettles to be disposed of.  Gone are the days when I could carry on for the whole day but a bit at a time will still get the job done. I baked a batch of cookies for Peter before settling down for a break at the tv with a coffee.
The low tides continue getting lower and lower with the furthest out being on Monday so off I went for a wander around the rock pools.
Lots of marine life including sea anemones but no open ones yet. The one below looks like a green strawberry anemone but I really need to see the tentacles to identify it properly.

Being such a lovely day and the weekend brought what seemed like hordes of people to the beach. Mostly walkers with dogs and/or children. People in the water too, body boarding, swimming or just playing, some in wetsuits and some just in swimming costumes. The water temperature was 7C/44F according to the tide timetable site. A bit too cold for me I think.
Right in the centre of the photo above is somebody driving a 4WD on the beach. I'm not sure if that's actually allowed. Last Thursday I was passed by a girl riding a bike on the beach followed by her two dogs. (No dogs allowed on the beach between May and Sept.)
It was so lovely I carried on walking or rather strolling for an hour and a half. That's about the limit for my back at the moment.

 

No comments: