Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 1 February 2021

Super Swell.

Crisp with blue skies and even bigger swell than yesterday. I had one of my early starts today, awake at 4.00 and up at 5.00. A bonus was being able to see the mottled pink sunrise clouds and then to stand outside with my coffee watching the swell begin to march across the bay.
It's fun to hear the boom as the wave hits the cliff followed by the spray exploding into the air. I managed to catch a few and missed plenty more. Oh the joys of digital photography.
The plumber turned up nice and early just after 8.00. He fitted an outside tap and moved the oil feed pipe back to the wall. (It had been attached to the lean-to wall which is now gone.) The builders sent a text to say they might be here at mid-day but in the end they didn't arrive. Ho hum. After breakfast I drove to Aber to pay a bill and do the shopping at Lidl. It's been three weeks since I last went shopping but though we have plenty of food in the cupboard and can fill the gaps in the local shop I do wince at some of the price differences. This time it was the cheese that caught my eye, same cheese £3.00 here, £1.79 in Lidl. I had to go to the bank and it was noticeable how empty the streets were. Not surprising since we're still in lockdown and most of the students have gone home.

The surfers have been having a wonderful time. I'm sure some of them have been out all day in waves up to 6ft or more. If you click on the photo above you should see three tiny dots in the centre which are three surfers. I went out on to the cliff to photograph the more experienced surfers who had gone out to the left. I wish I'd managed to catch the guy who found himself inside the tube (when the wave curls over on itself).
More surfers above and below showing how big the waves were. 
I also caught the slight prism effect in the wind blown sea horses.

Later in the afternoon I heard the sound of a low flying helicopter. I rushed out, as you do and there was the coastguard helicopter. It came in low and then circled round the dozen or so surfers furthest out and then went away down the coast. Maybe it was looking for a surfer in trouble but there wasn't one here. Haven't heard anything on the coastguard or lifeboat pages yet. A few of the neighbours also came out to see what was happening.

2 comments:

Marksgran said...

I'm not sure if it's just my computer or if others are getting the same, but every time I try to comment, it takes me to a weird site and I have to close it and try again. I usually get to the comment box on the second try. I feel others may be put off commenting if this is happening to them too, just thought I'd say! You're so lucky to be near the sea. I feel increasingly I'd love to go for a visit to the seaside, just to hear the waves but as we are miles from the sea it won't be happening anytime soon. x

Ruta M. said...

Sorry. I get the same thing too. I have to close the page as soon as it starts opening the rogue page and then the second go gets me to the comments. It's not a virus but something that opens a link to some sort of advertising page. I'm working on persuading Peter to remove it but may have to wait until one of our boys is allowed to visit.