Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Sunny.

Much brighter and warmer today with plenty of swell for the surfers.
With the builders not due to arrive until mid-morning we were fast asleep when we heard the sound of a truck pulling up outside and then the ring of the doorbell. It wasn't the builders making an early start but somebody from the windows firm come to make some adjustments to the front door to make it easier to lock. It is due to be replaced but at the moment the factory making the doors is closed because of covid. The builders came eventually and today they finished the tiling and did the grouting. They are coming back tomorrow to clean off the excess grout and then everything grinds to a halt until the plastering is sorted in my study and the electrician turns up to do the final fix in the utility and my study.
In the morning I went out to do a little work in the front garden. I worked on cutting back the 'spikey bush' (Eleagnus) making space for a Hydrangea and a Skimmia  hidden underneath it.
Gardening and piano practice done there was still time for a beach walk. Coming on to the beach I saw this gentleman with a metal detector. Being interested to know if it would be worth Sally bringing her metal detector along and having decided that my new life includes being bolder and talking to people, I went and had a chat. He was very pleasant and as I thought this beach is really too stony for metal detecting.  It is sandy at Ynyslas as the far end but most of that area is an SSSI and metal detecting is not allowed which I didn't know. As I walked on I also realised that we do get ordinance washed up there and at least two dangerous items had to be blown up last summer. Wouldn't want to be digging up an old mine or shell.
Further up the beach I came across this dog sitting on the wet sand. I skirted around it as it didn't respond to my tsk tsk noises. It was some kind of Staffie (Pit Bulls are banned) with a short coat and as I walked past I noticed that it was shivering and then it began to shake. Obviously very cold even before the wave came in around its feet. There were two sets of people out walking but it didn't seem to belong to them and then I realised it was probably waiting for one of the surfers out in the water. Sure enough one of the surfers was making his way out of the water so being an interfering concerned old biddy I first asked him if it was his and then mentioned that it was very cold. The surfer didn't take offence and just said the dog was a tough old dog.
Nearing my usual turnaround point I had to go up on the sloping shingle and became fascinated by the forms of the waves. The incoming waves were hitting the bank with such force that the waves bounced back moving back out to sea and then interacting with the incoming waves. In the photo below the four waves across the centre of the picture are moving away from the beach.
If the timing was right (below) a magnified crest ran down the wave front, from right to left. All physics you know.
 

No comments: