Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 11 February 2021

Very Cold.

It's been even colder today, a dry cold with the wind coming from the south-east (Siberia). A day for keeping the heating on all day. Even though the house has a lot of insulation we're losing heat through the missing loft hatch in the bathroom and the bare floorboards in the bathroom and our bedroom. It got windier through the day and the forecast is for more cold weather.  At least the wind was useful for airing the smell of fried onions out of my everyday fleece which was the result of Peter's cooking session yesterday. He made a very nice chicken and barley stew with lots of vegetables, it's just that I don't want to spend the next day smelling of onions. I don't eat very much meat and listening to the farming programme the other morning and finding out that the fully grown chicken we get in the supermarket is only five weeks old makes me even less likely to eat chicken. Five weeks! I thought it was unnatural enough when I heard that meat chickens grew to full size by twelve weeks.
In the morning I wrapped up, slathered moisturiser on my face and went out to do some gardening. Achieved today was sawing through a fat (6"x4") elder tree stump. It's in an awkward spot to dig out so I'm going to drill into it and pour in stump killer instead. I also dug up two more bramble roots. Then I cut off as much of the spikey stems and used them as natural barbed wire to fill in any gaps between the hedge and garden wall to deter people from stuffing their rubbish into the garden. Even though it's only a few items I find that unacceptable and quite disgusting.
My afternoon has been spent in the kitchen making something for an upcoming birthday. As the recipient might possibly read this (probably not) all I will say for the moment is that it involved chocolate and edible glitter.
I didn't take a single photo today so here are a couple from Tuesday's icicle walk.




 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh I love the smell of fried onions especially if there are peppers too. mmmm makes me hungry.