Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 26 February 2021

Sunny.

Sunny again today with the usual clouds over the mountains. Right now at the end of the afternoon, the clouds have cleared and it looks like another pretty sunset will be tempting me to take even more photos.
Early this morning I heard a vehicle pulling up in the street and thinking it was our builders I leapt out of bed quickly getting dressed before having a look outside. Nobody! It must have been somebody stopping to post a letter in the box which is across the street from us. No builders at all today which is a shame. They don't seem to work on Saturday's so that's it until Monday at least.
I spent my morning working in the front garden, digging up a big bramble clump from a very awkward position right under a hydrangea and a mound of honeysuckle. Then I moved on to clearing some of the fallen soil at the top of the garden below the terrace. It's good soil but rather than put it to one side I've dumped it under the street side hedge to improve the soil there. I also moved some Vinca to under the hedge as well. That's the first bit of planting in the garden as so far it's all been clearing and chopping. 
In the middle of the day the trellis arrived for the back garden. There was only one chap with the lorry so we had to help unload the 12 large and 4 smaller panels and then carry them through to the back garden. Because they are of a sturdier construction (fixed at all the junctions and pressure treated) they are heavier than other more open trellis panels but I'm very pleased with them.
The tide was very low today (the range of the low and high tides varies during the month) so Peter and I went out for a mooch around the rock pools in the sun.
Still looking for open sea anemones. Saw three closed ones of a greenish colour but no idea which species they are yet.
Sandpiper tracks?
We saw a few of these periwinkles moving across the wet sand. This one had disguised itself with a sandy blob on top of its shell.
We also walked along the beach where there was a strip of sand covered with broken crab shells, bits of seaweed and shells. I'd love to study the sea and wind forces that cause certain size or type of shells or stones to be left in specific areas on the beach. I collected a bag full of large whelk shells which I plan to hang on a full-size driftwood Christmas tree that I will make and put by the gates at the bottom of the front garden. I found another 'treasure' on the beach but the photo I took didn't quite do it justice so I'll try again tomorrow (it needs sun to look at its best).


 

1 comment:

happyone said...

I get to see animal tracks in the snow and you get to see them in the sand. :)