Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 9 February 2021

Snowflakes.

Lots of sunny spells today but the main feature of today's weather has been the snowflakes gently floating down, sideways and even upwards but never settling on the ground. The distant hills spent most of the day shrouded in cloud but so far I haven't seen any sign of snow up there. 
I began my day with a bit more work on the hedge and finished the whole thing. I didn't take the steps out but sawing some of the branches from low down was enough to see the hedge reduced to a more manageable width. I even dug up one more bramble root. I used a garden fork and tried to avoid putting strain on my ribs by standing on the handle of the fork to use my body weight to lever up the roots. The danger with that is that I might end up snapping the fork handle so I'll have to be careful.
We needed milk so I timed my exercise/shopping with low tide which gave me the opportunity to walk back under the cliffs.

There my attention was caught by long icicles hanging from the cliff face. (I had great fun taking photos of almost every group of icicles and after editing I had 99 photos to go in today's folder.)
Above is a mini waterfall formed by groundwater coming off the land above with yet more icicles on the right.


I'd gone out when the tide was at its lowest but I kept a careful eye on the sea to make sure I didn't get cut off. I've just read that during Sunday's training session out lifeboat was tasked to assist a dog which had swum out after seagulls. The owners began to get worried once it had gone out about 200m but by the time the lifeboat had got there it had returned to shore. We did wonder why the lifeboat had gone off round the corner. Incidentally the coastguard helicopter that had circled the surfers last week had been called out after there were reports of a surfer in trouble at Tywyn (the next town but one up the coast) but the surfer had been able to get back to shore on his/her own.
The electrician is coming tomorrow morning to do the second fix in the utility/toilet/study. Unfortunately the glass globe light I was given is too low for those rooms as being later additions they have lower ceilings and our 6'3" sons would knock their heads on it. Maybe I'll put it in the bathroom which has a higher ceiling. Instead I've asked the electrician to put pendant ceiling lights in. I'm hoping I've still got a pretty frosted Victorian glass shade, like an inverted tulip, which would fit with the Victorian style of the toilet. I had to laugh when I looked inside the old airing cupboard in the bathroom and saw the same ridged border tiles I bought for the toilet at vast expense sitting above plain white tiles that would have been the original ones for the bathroom. Currently the bathroom has peach or what I think of as flesh-coloured tiles over the whole walls, some with 'tasteful' orange roses. How tastes change.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Very interesting seeing the icicles. 99, thats a good many photos!!